Reporting into the Head Chef you will support the craft team day to day and work alongside the service team to deliver an experience that is exciting, exceptional, and inspirational at all times. You will be responsible for your section on the day, ensuring you have the right amount of mis en place, and that everything is managed in line with Company food safety requirements.
- To be responsible for your section on the day, owning the quality, food safety and allergen controls of what is served
- Manage your mis en place, ensuring that you have enough for service, and preparing ahead for the next day/s
- To prepare ingredient order lists of what stock is required
- To be flexible and work in any section, in any kitchen
- To confidently understand the daily food requirement forms, booking system, and respond by ensuring you have adequate prep
- To review future business levels and prep accordingly
- To ensure all food leaving your section is of the highest quality, and in line with the spec as demonstrated by the Head Chef
- To be always audit ready and achieve the highest possible standard on every occasion
- To own the cleanliness and hygiene standards of your section, and support the upkeep of other sections
- To complete required due diligence paperwork and checks
- To ensure all company and statutory regulations pertaining to health & safety, food safety, hygiene & fire are always adhered to
- To attend service briefings, and department meetings with front of house
- To ensure that you are using standard recipes as directed by the Head Chef
- To organize and supervise the work of other chefs that may be in your section, eg Commis chefs
- To lead a service in the absence of the Sous Chef or Head Chef
- To contribute ideas to dish and menu creation for daily specials and seasonal menus
- To actively build relationships with local team members and key clients
- To work alongside other workstreams, e.g., the Curated Experience Team, to deliver events and experiences that are literally the talk of the building
- Attend event planning meetings
- Attend and support menu review meetings, supporting the business to check menus have the right information on them
- To actively contribute to driving a positive working atmosphere at all times
- To be professional, and approachable always, and act collaboratively with all colleagues
- To prepare and cook food to order in front of customers, and / or support demos
- To undertake further training, which may include the completion of formal trade qualification programs
- To effectively communicate with the service and bookings team on a regular basis, ensuring that you attend service briefings, and respond to queries
- Show recognition and appreciation! Nominate colleagues for a job well done or recognise the help they provided! Utilise reward schemes for team members both in and outside of your team who deserve praise and thanks.
- Proactively champion the timely completion staff surveys and improved ways of working.
- Collaborate with other business areas in the building to support them
Health & Food Safety:
- To follow all company and statutory regulations pertaining to health and food safety, and to be always a safety ambassador
- Ensure the timely reporting of all risks. E.g. Log Near Hits as they arise.
- Ensure that you have the required level of PPE and are conversant in its use
- Ensure that you provide accurate allergen and nutritional information, and that the menus are correct
- Provide input/support to identify sales growth and cost saving initiatives to work towards financial targets
- Manage costs by ensuring recipes are followed, and production and wastage is controlled
- To carry out weekly stock checks and other financial control procedures as required
- To ensure all stores and other areas of potential loss are secured at all times.
- Deputize in the absence of the Sous Chef of Head Chef, or your peers onsite
- To work at other locations in the vicinity of your main location, or within reasonable distance when required
- To assist at any special duties or functions which may fall outside of normal working hours
- To attend things such as courses and training sessions, competitions, trade shows, competitor reviews, as and when required
Skills, Experience and Attributes:
- Over 3 years’ experience in a similar environment
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Professional Cookery, or demonstrable equivalent
- Skilled across multiple cuisines, and street food concepts
- Must be aware of the London food scene, and aware of current trends and market leaders in the industry
- Must be IT literate and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must be collaborative, and a genuine team player, willing to support business objectives
Customer Focus – Skilled Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions
- Gains insight into customer needs.
- Identifies opportunities that benefit the customer.
- Builds and delivers solutions that meet customer expectations.
- Establishes and maintains effective customer relationships.
Financial Understanding – Skilled Interpreting and applying understanding of key financial indicators to make better business decisions
- Understands the meaning and implications of key financial indicators.
- Uses financial analysis to generate, evaluate and act on strategic options and opportunities.
- Integrates quantitative and qualitative information to draw accurate conclusions.
Drives results – Skilled Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
- Has a strong bottom-line orientation.
- Persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and setbacks.
- Has a track record of exceeding goals successfully.
- Pushes self and helps others achieve results.
Directs Work – Skilled Providing direction, delegating, and removing obstacles to get work done
- Provides clear direction and accountabilities.
- Delegates and distributes assignments and decisions appropriately.
- Monitors progress by maintaining dialogue on work and results.
- Provides appropriate guidance and direction based on people’s capabilities.
- Intervenes as needed to remove obstacles.
Collaboration – Skilled Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Works cooperatively with others across the organisation to achieve shared objectives.
- Represents own interests while being fair to others and their areas.
- Partners with others to get work done.
- Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments.
- Gains the trust and support of others.
Drives engagement – Skilled Creating a climate where people are motivated to do their best to help the organization achieve its objectives
- Structures the work so it aligns with people’s goals and motivators.
- Empowers others.
- Makes each person feel his/her contributions are important.
- Invites input and shares ownership and visibility.
- Shows a clear connection between people’s motivators and the organizational goals.
Demonstrates Self-Awareness – Skilled Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses
- Reflects on activities and impact on others.
- Proactively seeks feedback without being defensive.
- Is open to criticism and talking about shortcomings.
- Admits mistakes and gains insight from experiences.
- Knows strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and limits
Instils trust – Skilled Gaining the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity
- Follows through on commitments
- Keeps confidences.
- Practises what he/she preaches.
- Shows consistency between words and actions.
- Is seen as direct and truthful
Date 09 04 19 Version V1.2 Internal Use Only UNCONTROLED IF PRINTED Page 4 of 4